Sunday, January 26, 2014

Heard through a wall...

Acquired from Funnyasduck.net
I've been living here at the Uni now for a year and a half and in that time I've had two neighbors, both of which seem to have the same habit of ... beating the crap out of their desk. Normally I wouldn't know this, but considering that the desk is attached to the wall on the opposite side of my desk, it becomes obvious when a beating is taking place. The pens and pencils on my desk jump up and down. The things I have pinned to the board above my desk swing around in time to the concussive thumps... and whatever liquid beverage I happen to be enjoying, displays rampant seismic induced impact circles. While none of this really bothers me much, it does make me wonder why they feel the need to punish the desk... 

With the first neighbor, it wasn't just the desk. I knew exactly when she was moving around the apartment, because she stomped. I could track her every movement from desk, to kitchen, to bathroom and then back. I knew when she got up, because she always ALWAYS slammed the chair into the desk, as if launching herself into action. And there was also desk brutality. I know what some of you are thinking,"She's got a boyfriend." Um... no. No, definitely no 'friends' of that nature. She would just smash things around in there. Always knew when she was gone, because there was no smashing, crashing, thumping, stomping or anything else. But I knew when she got home, because she'd slam the front door.

She must have left a note for occupant number two.

"Keep up the good work I've started here. Beat the desk!"

There has been no meeting up with occupant 2 as of yet, but I know they are there, because they also beat the desk. ... like a large group of dwarves demanding dinner. 

There have also been fights with the windows, and honestly I'm not sure what's going on with that. Generally it takes place in the middle of the night when the rest of us are trying to sleep. Suddenly there will be banging on the windows next door, the sound of windows being removed from their housing, swearing (at least I think it's swearing) and then an astounding amount of noise which I'm surprised doesn't include the sound of shattering glass. 

They also slam the front door upon arrival and exit, which they do copiously throughout the day. 
I guess I'm just sensitive to noise. No one else seems to give two cents.

This really stems from being a very quiet person myself I guess. In fact occupant 1 jumped a foot into the air when I stepped out of my apartment on my way to class one morning.

"Sorry," I said,"Didn't mean to startle you."

She blinked up at me in shock (she was very small)," I though the apartment was empty! How long have you been here?" 

"About a year" I said amused.

"I haven't heard you at all!!" and she didn't seem happy about that. Then she excused herself and disappeared back into her apartment. 

In the end I guess I'm left wondering...

How can they be that noisy and secondly.... What the heck are they doing that produces that much noise??? 

... then again. I don't really want to know.

;)

2 comments:

Knatolee said...

I'm one of the quiet people, like you, who can't understand why people must move about like elephants! :)

Kathleen said...

I think I'm in between; can be quiet and can be loud. Sometimes I just cannot figure out why my children stomp so much. Also, 12 year old boy + friends equals a decibel level in the "What?! I can't hear you!!" range of speaking while attempting to converse with the person sitting right next to you. :D