Sunday, October 3, 2010

... ugghh....

There are at least 4 things I could write about and have no real inclination to do so. Eventually I'll get around to them I guess, but at the moment I just can't get up enough ... umph? All in all it was sort of a weird day. The weather changed to humid as well as hot, and then it rained. It's coastal weather for a different longitude and latitude and since I'm not there, it makes it a lot more depressing. Most people get homesick because they leave home... I get homesick for a country I only spent 3 months in. Weird but true.

Over the last couple of weeks I got to move my Beta fish to the small back up tank, because one of the Molly fish decided it'd be a good idea to eat him. The Tetra (aka Tetra-loid), who I thought was insane, was actually running interference for the Beta. Beta would get hassled into a corner, the Molly would begin removing more of his fins, and then Tetra-loid would come zooming in and whack the Molly in the side, while the Beta would swim away at speed. The only fish that Molly respects now is the Red Phantom Tetra-loid. She's removed most of the scales off the top of the other Molly's head. He trawls the very top of the tank now, because if he goes any lower, she removes MORE of his scales.

Meanwhile, I got some more Tetras and some more Pepper Cory Cats... One Black Phantom Tetra, one Serpae Tetra and two little corys. This is how I discovered that the Molly is something of a bitch. I haven't had the other fish for long, but I suspect I will be finding a different home for the Molly Hag. Since the pH balance is FINALLY under control, I can get some more Tetras, which is what I wanted in the first place. I'll have to get a few more Corys too, because .... i -know- I put two Pepper Cats in there, but I almost never see them. They're to busy hiding from the Molly Hag. She seems to really hate the Peppers, and I suspect that if there were more of them, they'd be a bit more... comfortable. More friends for the Tetra-loid as well, considering they're all so freaked by the Molly. At least there are lots of places to hide, and the resident Tank Hag can't get to all of them, but it really irritates me to see them all clinging to one side of their home in a cluster you'd normally not see that many species in.

If there is one thing I will not tolerate, it's a Bully, and I do not care if its a different species or not.

The Beta on the other hand is living a solitary life in the 3 gallon tank. He spent the first week looking all over the tank for the other fish. Okay, so there's a lot of speculation on my part, but after a while he went and did what appeared to be pouting in a corner. I'll have to get him some friends, as in a couple of Corys and a few Tetras. Before all that happens though, I have to get the cloudy stuff cleared up in his tank. Not sure what's going on with that, but the enzymes seem to be clearing things up. Slowly. Betas are a bit hardier than the average fish, which makes me hopeful that he'll be alright.

*sighs* We'll see what happens I guess. With my luck, everything is going to kick off.

If you haven't already guessed my luck is awful.

1 comment:

Callie Brady said...

Well, at least you aren't house sitting fish. hee, hee