Wednesday, May 8, 2013

Thank You for the Monsters Ray


As I was hastily checking email this morning, and tying my shoelaces and dragging out my bag of photography stuff for class, I came across a small blurb on one of the anime sites I like to visit. It wasn't all that noticeable but it had a lot of responses on it. 

It was a note to let people know that Ray Harryhausen had passed away at the age of 92. If you have no idea who this man is, you have undoubtedly seen his work, in the original Clash of the Titans, Jason and the Argonauts, or perhaps Sinbad and the Eye of the Tiger. Ray worked on many other films, so those were just a few. He was a stop motion animation GENIUS. I hear lots of complaining about time spent on computers in the labs here for the animation/CGI classes... and frankly, I would like to see them sit down and try manual stop motion animation once. 

I seriously doubt they'd have the patience. 

Mr Harryhausen was someone I never met, but I seriously admired his work, and the world feels a bit smaller with him gone. 

Rest in Peace Ray. You will be missed.


They used to let me size the clips to fit the format of the page, but apparently they don't want you to do that anymore. :P Anyway, enjoy the above clip, as it gives a fairly thorough tour of the imagination of Mr. Harryhausen.


2 comments:

Callie Brady said...

Yes! He will be missed.

Kathleen said...

:( Definitely missed.